Thursday 18 February 2016

INTERCULTURAL MISCOMMUNICATION

HOW TO COUNTER INTERCULTURAL MISCOMMUNICATION





Hi guys,

As for Pellegrino Riccardi , an Italian based in the UK, people expect him to be an average Italian men that talk fast and talkative. However they did not know that Mr. Riccardi was raised in the UK and adapt more UK culture than Italian. 

He quoted that "people see what they want to see,but they don't always see what we see". Based on his speech, we can say that people tend to have their own perception and this sometimes can lead to misunderstanding between two communicators. 

This situation is related to what Pellegrino said about misperception. Let me give an analogy, its between me and this person called as an A. For me, "hae?" is used when i don't understand about something but she misinterpreted it and think that I was making fun of her.

Therefore, this situation made me curious on why did she think that I was making fun of her? In the video,Pellegrino encouraged us to be curious when we are communicating with people from other culture. 

Why? It is because when are curious, we tend look more about the culture. If we notice, in the video,he did give examples on the economy of language by different cultures.






For example:


English: Excuse me, may I just interrupt you for a second?



Norwegian: Du??






* Economy of language = Some culture might say something in 10 words while others with only just one word.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Hidayah & Zuk! Congrats on your post!
    Your writing on your experience communicating with the people in Philippines keeps me laughing :D Well, it reminds me of my experience talking to a few foreigners around IIUM. The same thing happened, when I talk to them in standard English, they shook their head showing that they didn't understand. But then, when I repeat in broken English then they finally understood ;D

    In some cultures, English may not be their second language, thus they are quite unfamiliar with it. That's why, it is good to learn many languages before travelling :)

    See you guys again in next posts !
    - Nana & Shiffa



    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading our posts Nana & Shiffa! Really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete