Saturday 27 February 2016

ARE YOU A PREJUDICE?

Hi! We meet again..Hope all of us are doing well today.

Have a look at the video below..Have fun watching it!



Take a look at the audiences' and one of the judges expression. They must have "what can these old men do?" kind of thinking.

In our last class in week 4, we were discussing about stereotype, prejudice and discrimination.
What comes to your mind when these words, are to you? I bet that every one of us cannot avoid on being skeptical or prejudice towards others.

 For example, you’ve known this one guy from region A, who tends to cheat you several times and you meet another guy from the same region and you assume him to have the same attitude as the first guy?  I might say yes if I did know him well. However, all these can be avoided by having a positive mind. Take a look  the video below..


What do you think about that? That guy was being skeptical and he discriminated a black guy just because of his past experience? huh..such a childish man..



I would like to share my experience as a "victim" of  discrimination. My father was known as an outspoken person. Whenever he saw something wrong, he would correct it immediately.

The event happened through my school years. Every time the meeting of Parent Teacher Organization was held, he will point out any matters that were not being organized well by the administration for instance.

Some teachers looked at it as a threat instead of trying to accept parents opinions or advised. ( I am not making this up, one of the teacher from my former school told my father).

So instead of facing up to my father, they made us the victim. I remember when I was in primary 3, there was this one "ustaz" called my brother "gemuk macam babi" (you're fat as a pig) and he said something about my father because at that time the teachers were having a big fight with my father. 

When I was in high school, this one teacher called us (me and my sister) and said  harsh things about my father. At that time, I had the gut to voiced out and said," Madam, if you have problems with my father, just go and meet him personally and please..do not get us involve in this! "

"It is between you and my father! Please be professional!". I was not intended to be rude but I just could not stand it anymore.

So people! If you are being discriminated, do not fear! Stand up and voice out! I know it takes a long time to build the strength but you just got to do it!

I do not blame my father for being an outspoken person (never!) because it is our task as a human being to enjoin good and forbid evil! (Oh God! I am emotional while typing this out!) 


Yeah that is from me..What about you Dayah??



If you ask me..personally, I will describe stereotyping as thinking of something negatively or in Islamic term, we call it as su'uzzon.

Actually, we should avoid being stereotype as it can influence our social life, like what happened to Zuk but I have to admit that it is hard to get rid of those stereotypes as me too, I have my own stereotypes of something or someone.

Being grow up in a family consist of six brothers, makes me think that men are lazy and they need to rely on their mother if it is regarding on their daily needs such as food and washing the clothes.

But I have to admit that when they are free, they would help my mum but... the ' free time' is hard to have.




Have I been prejudiced before?




I would say yes. No one will be freed from being stereotyped by others,right?



When I was in form one, I always wore slipper wherever I wanted to go including the night market.



It was similar to this one.



For me, there was nothing wrong with it but... like I said earlier, no one will be freed from stereotypes.



One day, I went to the night market, wearing the slipper as usual and when I was walking, there was a man who sat nearby the street was talking about me and I heard his sentence..








The guy: eh... dia pakai selipar je (she only wears the slipper)?




I was shocked and asked my friend;

Me: Is it wrong for me to wear slipper?
My friend: No, it is not. Just ignore him





The way he talked about me wearing those slipper as if I have done something wrong and big to him




Now, whenever I go out, I will always look at myself and ask my friend if anything wrong with my clothes.


Why?



Because I am afraid that people will look at me and say something negatively regarding on my clothes and look down at me

No comments:

Post a Comment